- Retainers should be worn as directed by the doctor. Most patients begin with full time retainer wear. We will continue to monitor your bite and alignment and let you know when you can reduce your retainer wear. If at any time you have concerns about your retainers or how they fit, please call our office during office hours so we can evaluate your retainers.
- Your retainers should be removed for brushing and flossing. We ask that you clean your retainers at this time also. Products are available to aid in cleaning your retainers. Brushing your retainer with your toothbrush will help remove any food particles and bacteria that may be present.
- When your retainers are not in your mouth, they should always be stored in your retainer case. Retainers should NEVER be wrapped in a paper towel or napkin as they will more likely be thrown away accidentally. You should also avoid leaving your retainers on a cafeteria tray.
- Keep your retainers away from pets. They are attracted to the smell of your saliva and would love to use your retainer as a chew toy!
- Never boil or microwave your retainers. Heat can melt and distort them. Avoid leaving your retainers in a hot car during the summer months.
- We recommend that while wearing your retainers, you avoid beverages with sugar or color as it can increase our chance of decay or staining. Water may be enjoyed with your retainers in.