Burkhardt Pecora Orthodontics uses custom retainers for all their patients to help ensure that the results of their treatment can be enjoyed long term. Following the recommended amount of wear and proper care of your retainers is important. Please use the following guidelines to care for your retainers and protect your amazing smile!
- Retainers should be worn as directed by the doctor. Most patients begin with full time retainer wear. We will continue to monitor your bite and alignment and let you know when you can reduce your retainer wear. If at any time you have concerns about your retainers or how they fit, please call our office during office hours so we can evaluate your retainers.
- Please be sure to bring your retainer to every orthodontic appointment.
- Please clean your retainer both morning and night to remove dental plaque. You can clean the retainer with a toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Please place your retainer in the provided case any time it is not being worn.
- Never boil or microwave your retainer or leave it in a hot car during the summer months. Heat can melt or distort them.
- If you have pets, please do not place your retainer anywhere that your pets can reach them. Pets are attracted to saliva and would enjoy chewing on your retainer!
- Please do not place your retainer in or on a napkin or tissue. Many retainers have accidentally been thrown out this way!
- We recommend that while wearing your retainers, you avoid beverages with sugar or color as it can increase our chance of decay or staining. Water may be enjoyed with your retainers in.
- You may remove your retainer while participating in physical activities, but be sure to wear a mouthguard to protect your teeth, gums and lips.
Your orthodontist will go over the options with you and provide specific instructions on the use of your retainers.
Smile Protection Program
Retainers are the final phase of orthodontic treatment that should never be overlooked. After removal of braces, patients are provided with retainers to maintain the result they worked so hard to achieve. The Burkhardt Pecora Smile Protection program is an opportunity to protect your smile for years to come. This program offers participants 10 years of coverage against retainer loss or breakage. Future dental work can make retainers no longer fit properly when a tooth shape has been modified, this program allows for easy replacement of retainers when this happens. Instead of paying full price for replacement retainers, patients pay only a small co-pay for a complete new set to hold teeth in the current alignment. Information about how this coverage can be purchased is available at you next visit, feel free to ask a team member for the details!